People generally choose laptops by design, power and sleekness and pay no attention to security features. Here we look at the most secure laptops on the market to help keep your personal data safe.
With the increasing rise of hacking and ID theft, the need for better laptop security has been acknowledged by the industry. Many new laptops are now packed with security software like malware scanners and firewalls, along with physical features like fingerprint scanner, facial recognition and hidden webcams.
Editor’s Choice: Top 3 Most Secure Laptops
The best business laptops combine cutting-edge productivity features with slimline designs and long battery life that provides mobility and productivity along with high-end security.
While compiling this list of the most secure laptops, we’ve taken into consideration a number of key factors including security software, port security, along with all the usual features like power.
Almost all of them come with the professional version of Microsoft Windows to enhance their business credentials, obviously except the Apple Macbook pro. We also have our very own price comparison tool that will compare prices and make sure you’re buying the very best business laptop for the very best price.
MacBook Pro with TouchBar
- 8th-generation quad-core Intel Core i5 Processor
- Brilliant Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
- Ultrafast SSD
MacBook Pro Security
The device offers advanced security to ensure that only you can gain access. Use TouchID to unlock your Mac in seconds. When making purchases Apple Pay keeps your information and money secure. The security features do not end there as with the simple touch of your finger you can switch users, access settings and open locked notes. The Apple T2 chip featured on this device is the foundation of Touch Id, encrypted storage abilities and secure boot. The T2 chip is responsible for encrypting the storage drive while Secure Boot helps customers run safe OS software.
Your data on the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is encrypted with FileVault2 which also helps you to wipe data off the Mac. Instant Wipe feature makes your data inaccessible before wiping it off from the disk. With System Integrity Protection, malware cannot change your critical settings and files even with root access. Developers can also opt for enhanced runtime that extends protection to their apps on macOS Mojave.
If you lose your Mac, iCloud and macOS can help you find it. You can display a message on the device so whoever has it may know how to get it to you, remotely set a passcode lock, suspend ApplePay or initiate a wipe to restore the Mac to factory settings and delete personal data.
Like the other MacBook Pros, the 13-inch laptop with touch bar is mainly crafted from one aluminum block, keeping it sleek and ultra-light. Vivid color and image accuracy are some of the advantages of the 13inch Retina display. True Tone adjusts screen temperature according to your environment. For connectivity, customers can enjoy the four USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports, each with max data transfer speeds of 40GB/s.
The 8th generation i5 processors on the MacBook Pro with TouchBar turbo boost up to 4.1GHz. If you need space, the 8GB RAM and 256GB of SSD will certainly suffice. Iris Plus 655 promises excellent graphics that will make working on this MacBook a pleasure for your eyes.
The new MacBook Pro with TouchBar has an improved butterfly keyboard. Under the keys, Apple put key dome metals and different materials from previous versions. The result is softer feeling keys that make the MacBook Pro a great choice. With your Control Strip, create shortcuts for apps you use most so you can work faster and be more productive.
The TouchBar is a lot of fun and a real time-saver. This bar is a multi-touch display with many of the options typically in the function row. The buttons for mission control and brightness are also visible here. The feature becomes even more exciting when using different apps. For Photos, for example, all the buttons for cropping, adjusting, filtering and even red-eye removal show up on the cool TouchBar.
For messages, the auto recommendations for emojis quickly appear on the TouchBar. Many people feel that this new addition to the MacBook Pro was Apple’s way of adding a touchscreen without having users touch the display. You can tap the TouchBar to move between tabs when using Safari, touch and hold it when editing photos, flick to adjust brightness and volume among other fun things.
Huawei Matebook X Pro Laptop Review
- World's First FullView Display: Immersive 13.9-inch 3K touchscreen with 91% screen-to-body ratio, only 0.57-inch thin and weighs only 2.93 lbs., perfect for at-home or on-the-go computing
- Powerful Inside: Windows 10 Home Signature Edition comes clean with no bloatware to slow you down. 8th Gen Intel Core i5 8250U processor boosts performance up to 40% over its predecessor
- Home Theater: 3K touchscreen with 3, 000 x 2, 000 resolution, 1500:1 contrast ratio and 260 PPI allow you to see vivid details when viewing HD content. 2nd Gen Dolby ATMOS for immersive audio
- One Touch Power Button: Enabling users to power on the notebook, finish identity authentication through Windows Hello and access the desktop in less than 8 seconds
- Includes compact Mate Dock 2.0: USB-A port, USB-C port, HDMI port and VGA port. Includes 1 year Office 365 Personal and 1 year manufacturer warranty
The ultra-slim MateBook X Pro
Huawei MateBook X Pro Laptop is a featherweight, portable and powerful device with full functionality of a PC. The ultra-slim feature makes the device easy to pack and carry and you can comfortably and safely walk on the streets without others knowing that you carrying a super’ computer with the capability of 8th Gen Intel Core i7 and GeForce MX150.
Fast and secure MateBook X Pro login
Part of security measures undertaken by the tech giant includes fast and secure login courtesy of a one-touch power button with optimized BIOS that powers up and logs you in 7.8 seconds. The fingerprint recognition makes it impossible for cases of unauthorized access and this is a plus compared to other brands that would take more time to access or retrieve information.
Hidden sleek camera
Huawei X Pro’s design has included a unique approach to ensure that the camera is not obvious. This privacy feature comprises a recessed camera that sits discreetly on the keyboard. The camera interestingly pops up between the F6 and F7 keys only when the user activates it, which safeguards your privacy.
OS Security Update
The MateBook X Pro extra benefit is the powerful-inside system supported by Windows10 Home Signature Edition that comes clean with no issues to slow you down. Potential buyers need not to worry since Microsoft has assured customers that all-important software and security updates will not be affected in any way.
Motherboard-level security risks
Scary exploits such as Zombieload, UEFI/BIOS firmware updates are also available for Huawei MateBook X Pro. Intel has also joined the movement and declared via PCWorld that the company will continue to provide security updates as well as drivers to end-users running their chips.
Aluminum chassis and a no-fingerprint case
Huawei MateBook X Pro has a standard keyboard and lacks the controversial Touch Bar’ because– according to Huawei – it has not yet proven its worth. With a high-resolution touch screen, the screen is arguably one of the best screens to secure your work or access information. The aluminum chassis and a no-fingerprint case improves the overall durability of the X Pro.
Is X Pro safe?
With the security issues to do with OS and firmware sorted, the remaining concern is whether “unknown entities” use the Huawei laptops to spy on you. This is a major concern that has since tainted Huawei’s reputation. Although Huawei denied accusations that it had the “backdoor” installed accidentally, it was also the first tech company that went through the efforts of patching its security holes to prevent the tech giant from suffering embarrassing exploits in terms of security.
The U.S. government recent ban on Huawei justifies the question of security and safety to many users. This ban means that business will no longer be as usual since companies like Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, NVidia, and other U.S. tech companies can no longer supply chips to Huawei. Truth be told, if the company cannot acquire much of its hardware from the U.S. as it used to, then probably the Chinese tech company’s laptop growth and development are in limbo. However, this doesn’t mean that the devices already on the market or owned by users will be compromised.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon
Previous versions of the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon have been the absolute best-in-class when it comes to business laptops, and this year’s model is no exception, with Lenovo delivering a thinner and smaller design with practically no trade-offs. Despite its small size, the ThinkPad X1 Carbon comes with pretty much every feature you need in a productivity machine, making it the best business laptop money can buy. Thanks to a battery life of up to 15.5 hours, and a rapid charging feature that brings the battery back up to 80% capacity in only an hours, the X1 Carbon is an ultrabook that lets you keep on working while you’re on the move.
- Intel Core i7-8650U Quad-core 1.90GHz (Up to 4.20GHz) Processor
- 16GB RAM, 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- 14" HDR WQHD (2560x1440) IPS Glossy Display with Dolby Vision, 500 nits
- Intel UHD Graphics 620, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
- Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, HD 720p with ThinkShutter Camera, Bluetooth 4.1 with vPro, HDMI, 2x USB-C (Thunderbolt 3), 2x USB 3.0, 4-in-1 MicroSD card reader
Dell XPS 13 (2018)
Believe it or not, Dell classifies the XPS 13 as a business laptop, albeit one that is geared towards a home office environment but businessmen (and women) will love the design. This ultraportable laptop – as Dell puts it – punches above its weight with Windows 10 Pro across the entire range as well as rather an attractive pricing.
This award-winning laptop (it won the best laptop of the year from us and many others) manages to pack a 13.3-inch display into the chassis of an average 11.6-inch model. It was also refreshed in 2017 with even better components, for a much-improved business laptop experience.
The laptop can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM and a 1TB M2 SSD drive. Battery life is exceptional as well with almost 22 hours of continuous use when using productivity applications.
- 13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) Infinityedge Touch Display
- Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake i5 7200U Dual-Core;
- 8GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM, 128 GB M.2 SATA SSD;
- Built-in Webcam,USB 3.0, USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type_C, Card Reader: SD family, Network: None, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1;
- Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
HP 255 G5
The 255 G5 is HP’s entry-level business laptop and is a solid candidate should you be looking for a straightforward, reliable, workhorse at a bargain price. Don’t expect any fireworks as it is a basic model; it just does the job without much ado. One thing that works for this machine though is its price – the G5 battles with Lenovo for the best-value business laptop on the market.
If you want a similar business laptop with an Intel processor, rather than AMD, then the HP 250 G5 is worth looking into. There are various configurations of both the HP 255 G5 and the HP 250 G5, so it’s worth shopping around and finding one with the right components for your needs.
- Operating system - Windows 10 Home 64 – HP recommends Windows 10 Pro.
- Processor family - AMD E2 APU
- Processor - AMD E2-7110 APU (1.8 GHz, 2 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Chipset - AMD SoC (chipset is integrated with processor)
- Memory - 4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
Toshiba Portege Z30-C-138
So, you want the most powerful system on the market with plenty of connectivity but don’t want to compromise on size or portability or battery life. Mission impossible? Well, not really. Take this Portege laptop from Toshiba. The Japanese manufacturer managed to squeeze an extraordinary amount of components in this device including a VGA port, a fingerprint reader and even a 4G/LTE modem and A-GPS!
- 6th generation Intel Core i7-6600u Processor
- Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro)
- 8 GB DDR; 256 GB solid-state-drive
- Full sized Ports (3 x USB 3.0; 1 x RGB; 1 x HDMI; 1 x RJ-45)
- Dockable to Hi-Speed port Replicator III+ (sold separately)
Lenovo ThinkPad E470
Lenovo took an existing form factor and refined it to deliver the new 2016-2017 ThinkPad E470. Powered by the 7th generation Intel Core processors, this particular SKU has a 14-inch FHD anti-glare display, powered by a discrete Nvidia Geforce 940MX 2GB GPU.
Equipped with a spill-resistant keyboard, a TrackPoint, and a 3+2 buttons click pad, the E470 has more than enough ports and expansion capabilities to keep the average user happy. Shame that it doesn’t do DisplayPort, so no 4K output.
- 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U Dual Core Processor
- 4GB DDR4 RAM Memory, 500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
- 14-inch Anti-Glare (Matte) Non-touch Display (1366x768)
- Windows 7 Professional 64 Pre-installed
- AC-WiFi, Fingerprint Reader, Intel HD 520 Graphics
How to Make Your Laptop More Secure
- Install some kind of tracking device to monitor your device if it gets stolen
- Always use a password protected screensaver
- Use a good password manager
- Ensure your hard drive is encrypted
- Use decent anti-virus software
- Keep all your software updated
- Backup your data
- Use a webcam cover
- Use a VPN especially if you are going to use public WIFI
- Get some kind of gadget insurance
- Use a privacy screen to stop people looking over while you work
- Make sure your router uses a good firewall, you can upgrade it with Tomato
- Use a safe browser and don’t visit suspect site