With an ever growing population and parents having to work full time, it can seem overwhelming to keep track of where your children are at every moment. To help put your mind at ease and feel more comfortable about letting your children go out and play, a GPS tracker can be a great solution.
Whether you are in a packed store, playing in a park or your children want to walk to and from school with their friends, let the GPS tracker for kids help them feel more independent while helping you feel more secure. If anything happens, at least there is a way to know exactly where they are.
5 Best GPS Tracker for Kids on the Market
- 1 PocketFinder GPS Child Tracker
- 2 Spy Tec STI GL300 Mini Portable Real-Time Personal and Vehicle GPS Tracker
- 3 My Buddy Tag with Silicone Wristband
- 4 Yepzon Freedom 3G GPS Tracker with SOS Button
- 5 POMO Waffle Smart Watch GPS Locator for Kids
- 6 How to Choose a GPS Tracker for Kids
- 7 Why Buy a GPS Tracker for Your Child?
- 8 Conclusion
PocketFinder GPS Child Tracker
- Locate - see child's location on a full online account or free smartphone app with interactive maps
- Monitor - track arrival & departure within a zone/geo-fence by receiving alerts straight to your phone
- Safety - alerts sent in near real-time if out of zone or low battery; see up to 60 days of locate history
- Mobile - manage and track all functions from smartphone, tablet, or computer
- Multi-User - instantly add log-ins for family, police, or rescuers with your smartphone
With interactive maps and geo-fencing, this is GPS child tracker by Pocket Finder allows you to customize settings and get exactly what you want out of your tracker. The Pocket Finder retains up to sixty days’ worth of data and will alert you not only when your child moves out of the set parameters, but when the battery gets low, all in real time.
- Real-time tracking
- 60-day data history
- Low battery alerts
- Manage everything from your mobile device
- Multi-user settings
- Aesthetic is not the greatest
Spy Tec STI GL300 Mini Portable Real-Time Personal and Vehicle GPS Tracker
No products found.
The Spy Tec’s simple black box design makes it great for personal use or to work on a vehicle. The real-time tracking can update you as often as every five seconds in you choose and the battery can last two full weeks. Simply clip it to a belt, slip it into a backpack or put it in a car, the Spy Tec tracker can also be put into a waterproof magnetic case for extra safety.
- Simple design that’s great for different occasions
- Five-second updates so you’re always in the know
- Tracks with Google Maps
- No contracts or extra fees
- Geofencing available
- Might be harder to get children and teens to wear it
My Buddy Tag with Silicone Wristband
- Buddy Tag alerts you when your child is out of your proximity, and the proximity setting is adjustable
- Buddy Tag alerts you when submerged in water to help prevent accidental drowning
- Panic Button on Buddy Tag allows your child to alert you when in need of your help
- Silicone wristband is adjustable from 5;5-inch to 8-inch with a coin screw fastener to prevent easy removal; Alternatively Buddy Tag can be attached to the shoelace or placed in the pocket
- Free app compatible with iPhone 4s, 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6 Plus; Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note2, Note3 with Android 4.3 or later
Made of a comfortable silicone material, My Buddy tag wristband is great for younger kids that want to play without dealing with a cumbersome tracker. The wristband alerts you when your child gets a certain distance away from you as well as when in ti submerged in water. The Panic Button feature also allows your child to send out an alert when they feel they are in trouble.
- Cute design that younger kids will love
- Simple to use and easy to wear
- Panic Button feature
- Alerts you when the child is out of proximity or underwater
- Not so suitable for older kids
- Simplistic version of other GPS trackers
Yepzon Freedom 3G GPS Tracker with SOS Button
- One push of a button and the small device gives you the best possible location using wifi, 3G and GPS whether you are indoor or outdoor. The button has no voice command or microphone input
- Track the safety of you and your loved ones with Yepzon wearable tracker; child going to school, family member travelling, your own hiking trip, active senior
- Multiple user and battery modes for your needs; 1) device activated solely by pressing SOS button, 2) GPS locator on with the SOS button function, or 3) solely GPS locator
- Device must be paired with Yepzon App: First month free | Prices starting at $4.99 a month | No activation or cancellation fees
- Yepzon App collects no personal data, does not require an account or login information. Tracking information can be shared with several users e.g. all family members
Though it looks like a simple black keychain, the Yepzon Freedom tracker works for children, teenager and the elderly to keep them safe. The keychain has an instant S.O.S alert feature that sends an automatic call for help with a simple press of a button.
The data logged by Yepzon is secure and safe so there is no need to worry about someone getting ahold of your information and a built-in SIM card means there is no need to worry about data plans.
- Simple, small design that’s easy to take along
- Discreet and easy to hide away
- Wi-fi connection
- Multiple user modes
- First month free
- O.S alert button
- Works for all ages
- Secure data
- Built-in SIM card
- Battery life could be longer
POMO Waffle Smart Watch GPS Locator for Kids
Ideal for younger kids, this GPS tracker is a brightly colored watch that looks cute and fun for your child to wear. With real-time software, the POMO waffle smartwatch has the great “take me home” feature that gives your child turn by turn directions back to where they live.
You can easily communicate with your child via the GPS tracker and set up notifications from the watch to your smartphone to make sure you never miss an alert. POMO also includes an S.O.S feature that sends a message to the emergency contacts on the watch when the child presses the button as well as a Safe Zone feature that gives you an instant notification when your child leaves a location they are supposed to be.
- Real-time GPS tracking
- Take Me Home function
- O.S emergency button
- Safe Zone Notification
- Two-way communication
- Tracking history
- Watch Off alerts
- Dust and Waterproof
- Colorful and cute
- Free SIM card
- Only for children young enough to be interested in the colorful design
How to Choose a GPS Tracker for Kids
In most cases, the brand names aren’t much different than the generics or less well-known options. Still, when it comes to GPS trackers, it is important to go with a brand name you can trust.
This is because customer service and timely responses are key to having a tracker you can trust to have on your children. You should go for a company with twenty-four-hour availability in case of emergency. The company you choose should also provide easy ways to communicate with them if you have any questions or concerns.
Pre-pay vs. Subscription
GPS trackers greatly utilize cellular signals to keep track of your child, so it is usually a similar payment method to a Smartphone. There are pre-paid services that are an upfront cost for the month or year. Or there are subscription services where you pay every month like a normal cell phone bill.
There are pros and cons to both of these options. It is important to look into what you can afford, what you are looking for in a GPS tracker, and what the actual item you are purchasing offers for deals.
Battery life is key when dealing with a GPS tracker. You don’t want to have to worry about whether the battery is still working when trying to find out where your child is.
There are batteries for GPS trackers that can last up to two and a half weeks. However, some can last over three weeks. The longer the battery life you have, the more confident you can feel in having your child wear it.
The majority of GPS trackers designed for kids come with a service plan so the maps are included in that monthly fee.
If you are worried about map upgrades, you should look into their policies and ask a question. Some trackers require you to do manual upgrades, but it will be very clear which are which when it comes to payment.
Because your child will be the one wearing the GPS tracker, it is important to consider their daily activities and what they get into. This is why it is important to go with a GPS that is waterproof so your child can still go ahead with their daily activities freely and not have to worry about the GPS tracker short-circuiting or shocking them.
This also means that trips out to the beach or pool can still be safe. It will make you feel confident that your child is where they should be because the tracker doesn’t have to be taken off and put back on again.
You want your child to not only be safe, but comfortable. This means your choice of tracker should also include what will be the most un-intrusive and annoying to your child.
You don’t want your child trying to take the GPS tracker off. Considering what they want to wear and how they will feel wearing it should always be included in your search for the right GPS tracker.
Wi-fi support is a key feature for GPS trackers because GPS relies so heavily on satellite positioning and cellular signals. But cellular signals are not very accurate indoors. So when a child is in a building, the best way to get their position is via a Wi-fi connection.
Having a Wi-fi support connection is also great to have. It means there are three things working to keep track of your child rather than two. This makes sure they are as accurately located as possible in case of emergency.
Normal Vs Intensive Tracking
You should consider how involved you want to be with the tracking. Do you want to be able to set a lot of different features or log on to see exactly where your child is at any time? Do you want to set a limit to how far your child can go off their set path?
If you want more control and interaction with the GPS tracker, you will need a more intensive tracking system.
If you just want to receive alerts and use it more as a last case resort, you can go with the normal tracking option.
A great feature of GPS trackers for children is the GeoFencing mode. This allows you to essentially put up a virtual fence around where your children should be and if they cross the line you have designated, you will immediately get an alert or notification letting you know.
This will be an incentive for your children to stay on track. It will also give you better peace of mind.
If you want to ensure that your child gets to their destination safely, you can set up alerts to let you know once they’ve arrived. You can set several location destinations and get a notification directly to your smartphone or computer.
Two Way Calling Systems
The majority of GPS trackers for children now feature a two-way communication from the device. This is a great feature to have because it means you can directly communicate with your child from the tracker. It is simple enough to operate so a child as young as five years old can figure it out and communicate back.
This means you can always have a line of communication open with your child without having to worry about other people getting hold of your child’s information. The calling system blocks other numbers so it prevents your child from talking to strangers or having the calls confuse your child.
Why Buy a GPS Tracker for Your Child?
Some of the most popular reasons why parents choose to go with a GPS tracker for their children are:
Going To School
Whether your child is on a bus, getting a ride from a friend, or walking to and from school, the GPS tracker allows you to know that your child has arrived safely and without incident. This not only helps you know for sure that they got to and from school. It also helps deter children from skipping school because you know where they are if they do.
If you are in a crowded shopping center, park or even a community pool, keeping a constant eye on your children can become difficult. Rather than using a leash or skipping out on events altogether because of the crowds, a GPS tracker can keep your child safe and let you know where they are.
Parks and playgrounds are some of young kids’ favorite spots to play. To enjoy your time outside with your children and let them really have fun when playing outside, a GPS tracker takes the worry out of what could happen and lets you both enjoy being outside and having fun.
Staying With Others
If your child is at another person’s house, it can seem like you spend the whole time wondering if they are okay. With a GPS tracker, you can let them enjoy their time with friends or relatives without worrying about calling or texting and waiting for a response.
While teens definitely aren’t too keen on having their parents knowing exactly where they are, this can be a great compromise when they start driving if they want to borrow the car. This way, you will know where they are and if they need help you know exactly where to go.
Obviously, this is something that all parents hope to never have to experience. But it is important to be prepared and have as much information as possible if you do face child abduction.
Being able to give the police as accurate information as possible will not only help them to get your child back as quickly as possible. It can also help your child feel safer knowing that if something happens, you can still find them.
If you are worried about your child’s online communications with unknown parties, you might want to consider installing a spy app on their phone to help you monitor their messages.
Being a parent can be stressful enough without having to worry about where your child is when out of your sight. GPS trackers help you take control over these worries. They help you feel comfortable letting your child have the freedom to do their own thing without feeling pressure to constantly check in. After all, it’s only a small price to pay for a calming peace of mind.