The thought of a child or pet drowning can be very scary, but it unfortunately happens. No one would want to imagine facing such a situation but the truth is, it usually only takes a few minutes for it to happen. Installing a floating pool alarm can help you avoid this horrible situation. In this article, we’ll help you navigate through the best floating pool alarms to help you choose the right one for your home.
Pool Patrol PA-30 Pool Alarm
- Ideal for both in-ground and above-ground pools
- The PA-30 is easy to install and convenient to use
- The alarm in the pool is battery powered and uses one 9-volt alkaline battery (battery not included)
- Designed for many years of use
- Comes complete with all hardware
This Pool Patrol PA-30 alarm floats on top of the water and activates when the water moves in a wave. Usually, when a pet or child falls into the water, it will cause a wave or ripple effect in the water that will set the alarm off.
Once the alarm is activated, it will sound from your pool and inside your home as well. Bear in mind that the alarm inside your home needs to be within 200 feet of the pool alarm. The alarm inside your home acts as a remote receiver and both alarms can be turned on and off.
This alarm is simple to use and comes with everything you will need to install. Great for customizing to your own preferences, the PA-30 can be adjusted to only react to certain sized objects so the alarm won’t sound for objects smaller than a child or pet.
- Alarms will sound from pool and inside your home
- Suitable for spas, above ground pools, and inground pools
- Corrosion resistant, allowing it to last for years
- Affordable and simple to use
- Alarm can be very sensitive if not set up properly
PoolGuard PGRM-SB Safety Buoy Above Ground Pool Alarm
- NSF Certified to the ASTM Standard F2208
- Made in the USA; The Poolguard “Safety Buoy” comes with an in house remote receiver that has a range up to 200 ft., and comes with a 12 volt power supply.
- For Above Ground Pools & Spas
- 1 Year Warranty
- In House Remote Receiver
This PoolGuard floating pool alarm was created just for above ground pools, and it’s a very affordable option amongst other brands. The PoolGuard PGRM-SB is easy to use, made in the USA and is certified for your peace of mind. The alarm will work in any above ground pool, regardless of the type.
This safety buoy also comes with a home receiver for inside your home as well, ensuring that you will hear the alarm from wherever you are. The alarm does not have an off feature. But if you take it out of the water and put it in sleep mode while you swim, it will not go off.
When you are ready to place it back into the water, it will automatically become active again when it touches the water. The alarm will then do a test alarm quickly to let you know that it is working properly.
- Very easy to use and adorable
- This alarm is lightweight
- Includes a one year warranty
- Includes a home receiver as well
- Place in sleep mode while the pool is in use
- Only made for above ground pools
- Can be very sensitive if not properly installed and set up
>>Read also our guide to the best wireless driveway alarms to alert you when someone enters your property
Lifebuoy Pool Alarm System
- A REVOLUTIONARY WARNING SYSTEM FOR A SAFER POOL - Lifebuoy is equipped with home and pool units designed to sound an alarm when a person or pet falls into water. Multiple sensors and a state of the art microprocessor are used to detect the pool area. It is a versatile, reliable alarm that can detect movement in the pool with long range RF.
- SWIM MODE - The lifebuoy pool alarm is smart - After 10 minutes of absence of movement, the system will reactivate and in the event of a fall into the pool an alarm will go on.
- BLUETOOTH BASED - Use the lifebuoy App to control and configure your lifebuoy Alarm. You can control the alarm state, change the length of the alert in case of alarm, or adjust the sensitivity of the lifebuoy pool alarm when your App is connected to Bluetooth and you are in range. Note: Lifebuoy does not work away from home.
- COVER ALERT - Lifebuoy is designed to alert when pool cover is removed. We are very proud with this technology, as it is the only pool alarm that can effectively be used when the pool is covered.
- LIFEBUOY EVERYWHERE - Use with almost every type of pool, spa and garden pond. Suitable for constructed or temporary pools, Jacuzzis and ornamental pools. Lifebuoy was designed with portability in mind. Light and compact, you can take it with you on vacations and trips. CE, FCC approved and complies with ASTM.
This Lifebuoy system is more expensive than others on this list, but it is a high quality and top of the line alarm option. The Lifebuoy system was designed to work in any type of pool, small garden ponds, and will even sound if the cover is removed from your pool.
This system allows you to have peace of mind when it comes to pool safety. When you are using the pool, you can switch it to swim mode. Once there are 10 minutes of no activity in swim mode, the system will automatically revert back to alarm mode.
You’ll also like that it can be used from your phone or tablet. Lifebuoy alarm system includes an app that you can download and control the alarm from. Within the app, you can turn your alarm off, change the sound of your alarm or configure other aspects of your alarm.
- Easy to use and install
- Includes a mobile application for convenience
- Swim mode will automatically place the alarm back into alarm mode after inactivity
- Created and designed for every type of pool
- More expensive than other options
PoolGuard PGRM-2 In-Ground Pool Alarm
- NSF Certified to ASTM Standard F2208
- Made in the USA
- In House Remote Receiver. Horns are 85 decibel at 10 feet; The Poolguard Pool Alarm comes with an in-house remote receiver that has a range up to 200 feet
- Battery Powered,Poolguard PGRM-2 is designed to detect intrusions similar to a one year old child
- Can be used in pools up to 20 x 40 or 800 square feet
Great for in-ground pools, this PoolGuard alarm is known for how easy it is to install. Once this alarm is installed into your pool, it will never deactivate. You can easily place it into sleep mode by removing it while you swim.
As soon as you reinstall your alarm, it will go back into alarm mode instantly. This alarm, like many others, includes a home receiver as well. The alarm and receiver both use a battery for power and typically will last a year on one battery. They will emit a low battery sound when it is time to change the batteries. .
- Very affordable and easy to use
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- One simple installation will get you started
- Not as sensitive as some of the competitions
- A little heavier than other alarms
- Only made for in-ground pools
Blue Wave NA4212 Poolwatch Pool Alarm System
- NSF Certified to ASTM F2208 requirements for pool alarms
- Electronic sensor detects entry into pool by children, pets, or intruders
- Remote receiver sounds when the pool alarm is activated—100 ft wireless range
- Alarm is designed to detect objects weighing 18 pounds or more 110V A/C or 9 volt battery powered receiver
- Kindly refer the User Manual in the Technical Specification section for specifics on operating and installing this alarm. These setup and care instructions are crucial to the alarm’s proper operation.
This lightweight alarm by Blue Wave is a great option if you’re looking for an alarm that is discreet and not bulky. You can easily install this alarm onto a deck or railing of your pool and it will work with both above ground and inground pools.
Like most other pool alarms, this one includes a home receiver, which needs to be within 100 feet of the alarm. The alarm registers when anyone over 18 pounds enters the pool. You’ll like how the settings are easy to change and how quick it is to set up and run.
- Affordable and lightweight -- it is not bulky
- Install it onto
- Small and nonintrusive
- Easy to install and use
- Receiver needs to be within 100 feet
How to Choose a Floating Pool Alarm
Choosing the right pool alarm is extremely important since it concerns the safety of your children. Here are some things to consider before you purchase a new pool alarm.
Many alarms will include a receiver, and they will need to be within a certain range to operate properly. You should choose an alarm that has a large enough range for the distance between your pool and home.
You should consider the volume of the alarm. Pick an alarm that is loud enough for you to hear, but not loud enough to disturb your entire neighborhood.
Type of Pool
While some alarms can be used in any type of pool, you may want to consider choosing an alarm created for your pool type. Water and wind effects are different between an inground and above ground pool. An alarm specially suited for your pool type will function the best.
Different pool alarms have various functions and features. They usually have basic disable functions and allow you to choose how sensitive you want its sensor to be. Some pool alarms also come with the added convenience of shutting automatically when you remove them from the pool. However, as expected, a pool alarm with more features would usually mean it’s priced higher.
Some alarms can be super sensitive when you buy them, causing any little movement can set them off. You need to take note of this because your alarm being set off so easily can be a disturbance to your neighbors.
Floating Pool Alarm FAQs
Are There Any Laws for Pool Alarms?
Yes. There are different laws for each state about pool alarms. You may want to ask your local officers or mayor’s office about the laws in your area regarding pools and pool alarms.
Are They Easy to Use?
Most pool alarms are fairly simple to install and operate. The alarms included on our list are all very easy to use and install. Most pool alarms will include simple to follow instructions.
One of the alarms included on our list can even be controlled and set up using an app on a mobile device. Most alarms use batteries, meaning they will still work even if your power goes out.
Every year, hundreds of children and pets accidentally drown in a pool. While these situations are absolutely heartbreaking, many of these cases could have been prevented with a pool alarm. We hope that this list of 5 best floating pool alarms will help you with your decision in choosing an alarm for your pool.
Having a pool alarm can help save a life and is definitely a worthwhile investment. Some countries and states may even require you to have an alarm in your pool just in case of accidents. Choose an alarm that works for your type of pool, is within your price range, works effectively and is easy to use.
If you are interested in protecting your children, you might like to find out which is the best spy app for Android phones; these apps allow you to track your child’s movements and monitor their communications.