As any gun owner would tell you, “an armed society is a polite society”. However, for every responsible gun owner, there are a dozen more irresponsible members of society who fail to understand and appreciate gun safety.
In recent years, gun violence has seen a massive surge and hardly a week goes by without an incident. Government legislation aside, as responsible gun owners, we have a duty to ensure that our firearms are kept safe and secure at all times.
While you may be well-trained in the safe operation of a firearm, accidents do happen and an improperly secured firearm can be stolen and misused. If you want to keep your weapon safe at all times, take a look at some of the best biometric gun safes on the market.
- 1 5 Best Biometric Gun Safes
- 2 Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe
- 3 Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Gun Safe
- 4 Verifi Smart Safe Fast Access Biometric Gun Safe
- 5 BARSKA Mini Biometric Gun Safe
- 6 Viking Security Safe VS-52BLX Biometric Fingerprint Hidden Gun Safe
- 7 How to Choose a Biometric Gun Safe
- 8 Where to Place It
- 9 Why Consider Biometric
- 10 Conclusion
5 Best Biometric Gun Safes
Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe
- UPGRADED ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION features anti-pry bars, two point anti-impact latches, interior mounted hinges, and NEW interior security brackets for the ultimate prevention against break-ins. Available with the entire Vaultek product line up including the new VT10i.
- TOUGH AND RUGGED heavy-duty 16-gauge carbon steel construction with a durable powdercoat finish preventing corrosion and ensures long lasting protection of your belongings for years to come.
- QUICK ACCESS to your valuables, documents, and firearm(s) from the automatic opening door. Get in quick when it matters most using the rapid fire backlit keypad or biometric fingerprint scanner.
- SMART SAFE TECHNOLOGY a highly interactive experience from your smartphone. You can easily toggled on/off using the available hotkeys if desired and still maintain all other safe functions. A RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM-ION battery provides power up to 4 months, and charges in 2.5 hours with the included micro-USB charging kit.
- RESPONSIVE LED LIGHTING in low light situations so you can locate your safe with the backlit keypad and easily view your safe contents with an adjustable interior LED light.
Enjoy peace of mind at all times with the Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe. Featuring anti-pry bars and upgraded internal security brackets, even the most determined thief would think twice about trying to break into it.
Made from heavy-gauge carbon steel and secured with both biometric and keypad access, the Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe helps keep your firearm, documents and other valuables safe and secure. Fitted with a LED internal light, you can easily locate vital items in low-light situations quickly and easily.
For those times when quick access is a must, the Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe allows you to access it easily via the biometric scanner or the LED-backlit keypad. This feature makes it especially ideal if you’ve got a significant other or kids living in the home with you.
With the Vaultek Smartphone app, you can check on the status of your safe when you’re away from home or even automatically unlock it when you’re within a certain distance.
- Smartphone app allows you to monitor or unlock safe from a distance.
- Reinforced heavy-gauge carbon steel construction
- Lithium-ion battery with a 4-month lifespan
- Comes with a myriad of accessories for added security
- Easy access in an urgent situation
- Locking mechanism issue as reported by several customers
- Security log does not record incidences of safe being opened
- Paint on keypad comes off easily
Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Gun Safe
- HIGHTLY SECURE 8” x 12” x 8” BIOMETRIC FINGERPRINT SAFE - Unlocks Fast by Registered Fingerprint or PIN Code. Non-Volatile Memory
- FAST ACCESS PERSONAL SAFE FOR HOME & OFFICE DEFENCE AND PROTECTION – Upgraded 500 DPI Optical Sensor, Motorized 20mm deadbolt locking mechanism with 2 pry-resistant insertion slots, 5mm door, Seamless Laser Cut, Four Prong Backup Cross Key
- EASY TO SET UP & SIMPLE TO USE Scan & Save up to 32 Fingerprints for Multiple People & 1 PIN Code, All Carpeted interior with Build in LED Light, 1 REMOVABLE shelf to organize your handguns, Jewelry, Cash, Small Electronics & Important Documents.
- PRY-RESISTANT by DESIGN, TIGHTLY SEALED SOLID STEEL BODY GUN SAFE - Two 20 mm Solid Steel Locking bars go inside of 2 insertion slots in the frame of the safe, Sound On/Off so that intruders won't hear you. Warning beep if door left unlocked
- MODERN DESIGN, ROBUST MILITARY LOOK AND VERSATILE SIZE fits perfectly as a home safe, office safe, bedroom safe, or anywhere you need fast access and protection.
Secure your firearm with the Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe. It has both a biometric and keypad security system to keep valuables, and firearms out of reach of any intruders.
With a 500 DPI optical sensor, 20mm deadbolt locks, and 2 pry resistant insertion slots, the Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe boasts a sturdy construction that would hinder even the most determined intruder. Built from solid steel, the Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe will be able to resist any amount of punishment.
Suitable for home or office defence, the Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe is specially designed with a sound on/off function and a built-in shelf to allow you easy access to your firearm in any situation. See also our guide to the best hidden gun safes on the market.
- Solid military-grade construction
- Built-in shelf for easy organization
- Quick access for emergencies
- Sound on/off function for situations where stealth is crucial
- Door open warning system
- Reliable locking mechanism
- Possible problems with the biometric system -- does not recognize thumbprint
- Complaints from several customers that the biometric system breaks down after repeated use
Verifi Smart Safe Fast Access Biometric Gun Safe
- LARGEST and ONLY FBI CERTIFIED FINGERPRINT SENSOR in any gun safe captures high-resolution fingerprint images to enhance recognition for QUICK ACCESS
- SELF-DIAGNOSTICS are performed on the electronics and batteries to ensure they're ready for use in the moments you may need them the most
- YEARS OF OPERATION on a single set of 4 AA batteries (included)
- TAMPER ALERTS are timestamped and logged to keep you informed of unauthorized access attempts, backup-key access and reset attempts
- AUTO-LOCK, LED night light, backup-key access, wall/floor mountable, stores 40 fingerprints, easy user management, solid steel construction, FSD approved, engineered in the USA
The Verifi Smart Safe represents a new generation of biometric safes. Instead of the typical biometric and keypad combinations that come with most safes, the Verifi Smart Safe utilizes a dedicated biometric access scanner only.
For total reliability in the most demanding situations, its fingerprint scanner utilizes 3D technology to ensure that you and only you can access your firearm and valuables. Certified for use by the FBI, the safes fingerprint scanner is ideal for those with children in the house or for those living in high-risk areas.
As further evidence, Verifi’s safes have been used by numerous government agencies such as the FBI, The Department of State, and even the Department of Defense. Now with these features, you can secure your firearm with military-grade technology.
Featuring a solid steel construction, the Verifi Smart Safe is able to withstand a pounding and can frustrate the efforts of even the most determined intruder.
- Top-of-the-line biometric recognition technology
- Military-grade construction keeps your valuables safe
- No need for key codes and pin numbers -- just use your finger
- Ideal for users who need extra security or who may need to access their firearms quickly
- Extended battery life which lasts up to 12 months
- Alerts owner of unauthorized entry attempts
- Some users reported that the biometric system does not work
BARSKA Mini Biometric Gun Safe
- Secure Storage: Our DOJ approved safes comes with a 120 fingerprint biometric module that is easy to program.
- The Optional Silent Mode: The safe features a silent mode that enables stealthy home defense.
- Solid Construction: This safe is built with durable steel, tamper-resistant edges, and 2 built-in pry-resistant steel deadbolts.
- Mounting: The safe comes with pre-drilled holes and mounting hardware, allowing the safe to be easily mounted.
- Motorized Deadbolts: The safe comes with 2 solid steal motorized Deadbolts
Small in size but large in security, the BARSKA Mini Biometric Safe features a revolutionary biometric access system that scans and verifies your fingerprint in only 2.5 seconds.
In an emergency where seconds count, the BARSKA Mini Biometric Safe allows you quick and easy access to your firearm without having to fumble with a pin code. Approved by the Department of Justice, the BARSKA Mini Biometric Safe is the ideal gun safe for home defense.
It is built to last and packed with security features and control access to your firearms at all times while keeping it out of the hands of unauthorized users. The compact design of the safe allows it to be stored away from prying eyes and reduces the likelihood of tampering.
Featuring a solid steel construction and boasting protective inner edges coupled with a dual deadbolt locking system even the most determined burglar would struggle with the BARSKA Mini Biometric Safe. In the event of a critical power failure, the BARSKA comes with backup batteries and a master key for access.
- Advanced biometric system for easy identification -- open within 2.5 seconds
- Solid steel construction allows it to take a beating
- Compact design for easy storage
- Internal LED light to help you retrieve your firearm easily
- Easy-to-use design
- Approved by the DOJ
- Biometric reader can be tricky to use
Viking Security Safe VS-52BLX Biometric Fingerprint Hidden Gun Safe
- HIGHTLY SECURE 19” x 14” x 4” BIOMETRIC FINGERPRINT SAFE FITS BETWEEN STUDS IN THE WALL - Unlocks Fast by Registered Fingerprint or PIN Code. Retains memory even if batteries are removed.
- FAST ACCESS PERSONAL SAFE FOR HOME & OFFICE DEFENCE AND PROTECTION – Upgraded 500 DPI Optical Sensor, Motorized 20mm deadbolt locking mechanism, 5mm door, Seamless Laser Cut, Four Prong Backup Cross Key
- EASY TO SET UP & SIMPLE TO USE - Scan & Save up to 32 Fingerprints for Multiple People or 1 PIN Code, All Carpeted interior with Build in LED Light to easily see your Handguns, Jewelry, Cash, Small Electronics & Important Documents
- PRY-RESISTANT by DESIGN, TIGHTLY SEALED SOLID STEEL BODY GUN SAFE - Two 20 mm Solid Steel Locking, Sound On/Off so that intruders won't hear you, Warning beep if door left unlocked
- MODERN DESIGN, ROBUST MILITARY LOOK AND VERSATILE SIZE fits perfectly as a home safe, office safe, bedroom safe, or anywhere you need fast access and protection
COMPFORTABLE HOME DEFENCE FOR THE PEOPLE - 100 % Satisfaction Service & Solution Warranted by VIKING SECURITY SAFE DESIGNED IN USA MANUFACTURED IN CHINA
The Viking Security Safe VS-52BLX Biometric Fingerprint Hidden Wall Safe allows you to safely and securely stow your firearm away for use in emergencies. Featuring solid steel construction and a motorized deadbolt locking system, it will greatly deter the efforts of any intruder while keeping your firearm and valuables safe.
Featuring an upgraded DPI sensor and keypad, you can easily access your firearms in an emergency. With the safe’s built-in LED light, you can easily organize your valuables, documents, and firearms.
Suitable for home or office defense, the Viking Security Safe VS-52BLX Biometric Fingerprint Hidden Wall Safe is the final word in firearm security.
- Solid steel construction with motorized deadbolts
- Seamless laser-cut construction for added durability
- Built-in LED internal light for easy viewing
- Sound on/off toggle function to keep you hidden from intruders
- Open door warning will sound if a door is left ajar
- Quality control issues
- Comes poorly packed -- sometimes missing parts and components
- Door lock sometimes malfunctions
How to Choose a Biometric Gun Safe
As a responsible gun owner, choosing a suitable gun safe should always be at the forefront of your mind. Let’s take a look at some factors that you need to consider when purchasing a gun safe.
When looking at gun safes, you should always take size into consideration. Whether you’re storing a tiny .22 or a massive .44 Magnum, you want to ensure that you have easy access to your pistol in an emergency.
Your gun safe should offer plenty of space for your pistol. You should be able to remove your pistol from the safe quickly and easily with no hindrance.
True to their namesake, safes are designed to keep objects stored within them safe. When making a decision, always go for solid steel safes with heavy construction. This makes them difficult to break into.
The accuracy of the DPI reader is especially important when using a biometric safe. Lower-end safes have a tendency to produce false positives. This means that family members or children may have easy access to your firearm.
On the other hand, a cheap reader may also have high rejection rates which mean that you may not be able to access your firearm in urgency. It is a much better choice to invest in a higher-quality safe for your own safety.
Generally speaking, if you’re purchasing a safe for home-defense purposes, you may want to ensure that your safe is a multi-purpose one. Dedicated gun safes feature foam inserts to safely store your firearm but offer little room for anything else.
Hence, take into consideration what else would be stored in your gun safe. From prescription medication to sensitive documents and even cash and valuables, you want to ensure that your safe has the capability to store these items without affecting your firearm’s accessibility.
Overrides and failsafe
While we may live in a civilized time, there is no telling what the future holds. A catastrophic disaster may result in power being cut for an extended period of time. In such a situation, having access to a loaded firearm can be especially important to your survival.
This is why you need to ensure that your safe of choice comes with multiple overrides and failsafe which allow you to access your firearm in the event of a power failure. From backup batteries to master keys, take the time to do your research.
After all, what’s the point in owning a pistol in an emergency when it’s locked inside your gun safe?
Where to Place It
When deciding where to position your gun safe, you need to take into account a variety of factors. They can affect your survival in an emergency. Here are some places where you can choose to store your gun safe.
The bedroom is usually inaccessible to visitors. This makes it one of the more ideal spots for a gun safe as it reduces the likelihood of an intruder stealing your firearm.
It is also a place where people are at their most vulnerable; when they’re asleep. Given that most burglaries and home invasions occur after dark, being able to access your firearm from your bedroom gives you a definite advantage over an intruder.
The gun safe should be used to store weaponry suitable for home defense. In the bedroom, the closet is one of the best places to store a weapon as it can be disguised as a cupboard and kept out of sight.
Also, the location besides your bed would be another excellent option as it allows you to retrieve your weapon almost immediately should you awaken to the sound of an intruder breaking in.
The basement is an often unvisited space by visitors which makes it a great location for a gun safe. Its location allows you to use larger safes as the basement is unaffected by weight limitations. This also means that the basement should be used to store weapons for purposes other than home defence.
While having an AK-47 available for use in a home defense situation would most certainly tip the odds in your favor, running for the basement in the event of a home invasion would be quite a feat.
Hence, basement gun safes should only be used to store long arms used for hunting or sporting purposes instead of home defense.
Why Consider Biometric
Biometric safes are difficult to hack or break into and offer unparalleled security over conventional safes. Here are some reasons why you should consider switching to a biometric safe:
They’re customized to users
Unlike pin numbers that can be lost or forgotten, a biometric safe only requires your fingerprint.
In an emergency, your brain is liable to freeze up and you may not be able to enter your pin number or you may outright forget it in the stress of the moment. A biometric safe only requires you to touch the sensor to open the safe.
Safety from theft
Biometric impressions cannot be stolen or hacked into short of the burglar cutting of a digit. Hence this makes them a good deterrent for would-be thieves.
Gun owners have a responsibility to ensure that their firearms are always kept safe and out of the hands of thieves. A biometric safe will do the job while giving you an unparalleled peace of mind.