There is a lot more to consider than just alarms and security cameras when making plans to rig your property with a security system. Some pertinent questions to ask include; figuring out how the new system will be powered – it is ideal for your specific need to have a security system running on battery, or connected to the AC power grid, or powered by solar.
Answering this question depends largely on some factors such as: Is AC power available where you want to install the security system? Is the location of the property accessible?
The reality, however, is that often times; you may have a need to monitor off-grid sites, or inaccessible locations that are difficult to run wire – in these cases, installing a solar powered security camera comes in handy.
But, one more challenge you’d face is deciding which product to purchase since there are several options on the market today.
So, today I’d be reviewing 3 of the best solar powered wireless security outdoor cameras on the market based on the positive feedback from users and their features.
- Wireless Installation - The Argus 2 can be easily mounted and installed both indoors and outdoors, eliminating the need for professional help. Can work with Google assistant.
- Rechargeable Battery, Solar-Powered - Users save tremendously on battery replacements thanks to a built-in micro USB port. This allows the Argus 2 to be charged by a universal 5V 2A power adapter or by the Reolink Solar Panel. *(Power adapters and Reolink Solar Panels are sold separately).
- 1080p Full HD Video Display and Improved Night Vision - Equipped with 1920×1080 resolution, the Argus 2 captures smooth, crystal-clear videos. Starlight image sensors installed in this outdoor security camera provides you with clearer night-vision footage for up to 33ft.
- Instant Playback - The Argus 2 supports the use of micro SD cards, allowing users to store files locally and add up to 64GB of space to their wireless security camera. Recorded videos can be replayed via the Reolink app, without any additional subscription fees.
- Standalone Setup and Operation - Users can install and operate the Argus 2 by directly connecting to a 2.4G wireless router. This eliminates the need for a security base station. Comprehensive voice instructions for setting up your Argus 2 are available on the Reolink app.
Reolink Argus 2 outdoor solar powered security camera is a compact inconspicuous monitoring device you can mount anywhere, and it takes only a few minutes to set up and is surprisingly inexpensive.
Avoid the hassles of running a wire to power the system; and also eliminate the expense of changing batteries – it comes with a solar panel that powers the system for you.
Features we love about the Reolink Security Camera
-Comes with a solar panel that powers the camera and is designed for Reo Argus Pro, Reolink Argus 2, and Reolink Go.
-No wire connection required – uses wireless Wi-Fi to connect with a monitoring screen.
-Neat and easy setup – you don’t need to drill holes, saves you installation fees.
-Rechargeable battery with a micro USB port to connect the battery.
-The wireless camera can be charged by either plugging to a 5v 2A power outlet or using the solar panel.
-Full HD, crisp and clear night vision gives out 1080p video with 1920 * 1080 resolutions – making it one of the top-end security cameras.
-Features an inbuilt starlight image sensor with 7 infrared sensors that enable a clear night vision – can see up to 36 feet night vision.
-Has highly sensitive sensor that captures every motion and details within line of sight – the motion sensor comes with 3 settings – 50 ft. Setting for large objects like vehicles; 29.5 ft. for animals, humans; and reduced sensitivity.
-Note that lowering the sensitivity cuts down false alarms – which also means, it might not capture everything out there.
-Receive push notification on the Reolink app when a motion event is detected no matter your location.
-Record and save video either on the SD (up to 4GB) and or on the Reolink Cloud – get a free 10GB cloud storage for 15 days.
To watch a video review, check out Paul Hibbert’s review.
Lynx Solar Weatherproof Outdoor Wi-Fi Solar Panel Security Camera
- Solar powered powered by the sun, means you only need 1 sunny day to power the camera for up to 7 days in the event of a power/internet outage
- Facial recognition intelligent facial recognition lets you choose who your camera recognizes, get a check in notification with familiar faces. Network security: WEP (40 bit, 128 bit)/WPA (TKIP, AES)/Wpa2 (TKIP, AES)
- Tend's facial recognition technology is not available in all states. Prior to purchase, please review the complete list of states where the feature is not currently available in the FAQ section on Tend's website
- HD video quality Crystal clear HD real time live video streaming and recording from your mobile device using the Tend secure app from any location
- Free cloud storage backup and review videos with our cloud storage, included with your purchase. It is free, So you can always see what has happened for the previous 7 days
Though more expensive than the Reolink Argus 2, this security camera by Tend Insights Inc. comes packed full with smart features that sure makes money spent worth it. The Facial recognition, live streaming, and animal detection feature place this security camera on the high-end.
Easily install solar panel where there’s enough sunlight and enjoy your smart even when there’s power outage for up to 7 days.
Lynx Security Solar Camera Features
-A large surfaced solar panel that harvests sufficient solar energy to power the security camera – it needs one day of charging to power your system for up to 7 days without needing any recharge.
-Having the solar panel means you can install and operate the security camera in any location without the constraints of needing a wire or AC power source.
-The innovative, intelligent facial recognition feature allows you to set the pictures of those you want the system to recognize and get check-in notifications when familiar faces get within the range of your security camera. On the other hand, you also get an alarm if a stranger is caught on your camera.
-Crisp, crystal clear HD video quality the Lynx security Cam runs on a 1080p at 30 frames/sec.
-Comes with the capacity for real-time, video streaming using the Tend app on your smartphone you can remotely monitor your security cam.
-Backup and playback videos on the cloud come as part of the package you bought. You are able to see what was captured for the past 7 days.
-Toggle the night vision on and off from the Tend App; also flip the images to the right position if you mistakenly installed it upside down.
-Has inbuilt storage that allows the Lynx cam store video for up to three days when the Wi-Fi___33 connection is lost, and automatically uploads it to the cloud once the internet connection is restored.
Funxwe 1080P Full-HD Solar Power Wi-Fi___33 IP Security Camera
- Enlarged Power Supply: Built-in 2 pcs ultra-large 11600mAh Lithium batteries, efficient thin-film solar panels supply power to camera and charge battery at day, battery powers the camera at night.
- Motion Detection and Record: Alarm action support email photo alert, push alert notifications, snapshot and record to FTP or SD card. Built-in 16G SD card, support max 128G TF micro SD card for the 24/7 scheduled record or loop recording, intelligent playback.
- Two Ways to Access: P2P Peer-to-Peer connect camera from mobile App to view directly, No need WiFi router; Connect camera by WiFi router, easy wireless installation, it only support WiFi 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n.
- Remotely Access Camera from App and Software: Live view and playback via iOS and Android phones/tablet or PC Client software on Windows computer remotely. Support to view via browser on Windows or Mac computer in LAN. Full compatible with IE browser, 3x digital zoom on IE browser view.
- 1080P FHD and Starlight Night Vision: 2.0 megapixels 1/2.8" starlight sensor with 6 mm lens can offer more advanced clear and remote vision at day and night, night vision distance up to 260ft (about 80 meters).Two-year free replacement of spare parts warranty.
Do you need a surveillance cam out in the field with no power? The Funxwe 1080P HD wireless solar powered security camera is the right choice.
This device is top of the top when it comes to monitoring your property – it comes packed with the usual features we have come to expect from every modern surveillance camera and much more.
Features of the Funxwe Security Camera
-29Megapixels Full-HD camera with 1920*1080, 12/2.8 highly sensitive starlight sensors for night vision up to 100m that gives you clear, crisp images and videos regardless of what time of the day it is.
-Encased in a durable Aluminum alloy with an IP66 waterproof rating.
-Comes with efficient thin-film solar panels to power the camera and charge built-in double lithium batteries of 11600mAh – the cells have a lifetime of about 5 years and can last 2 days after a full charge.
-An SD microSD card port that supports up to 128GB that records events locally on the device which can be played back, snapshot and or looped.
-Comes with a free app IPCView that is compatible with your iOS, Android smartphones that enables you view and listen in on your security cam remotely.
Securing your property does not get any better than this – no worries about regular battery change; no need for wires – all you have to do is follow the easy install steps for each system and you’ll up and running in no time.
These solar powered outdoor security systems are handpicked, and I believe you get a bang for your money.