Prevention is better than cure. To me, this saying stands truer for the security of our homes above anything else. Home security can be greatly improved by installing high security door locks with additional benefits such as fingerprint recognition and smartphone access. Gone are the days of the traditional lock and keys. Nowadays you can rely on your safety to be top notch thanks to the latest technologies. The high security door locks of today come equipped with many advantages to keep you updated about the security of your home.
36% of burglaries occurred through the front door of the targeted property
According to the last FBI statistics on home invasions , 36% of burglaries occurred through the front door of the targeted property, with the estimated number of property crimes per year at 8+ Million. A certain percentage would have been through doors which are not locked, but most are due to inadequate front door locks.
States with Most Breakins
Source: asecurelife.com based on FBI burglary stats 2017
How to secure your front door
-- Ensure you have a solid door to start with, one that cannot be easily kicked in. Look at solid wood doors or ones that have a reinforced interior.
-- Upgrade the internal dead lock to a grade 1 solid steel bolt and ensure it goes fully into the door frame.
-- Make sure you are using a heavy duty strike plate which is secured with four screws, not two.
-- Add a new lock, preferably one of the secure smart locks listed below. This is essential if moving into a new home as you have no idea how many people have a copy of the existing key.
Why do smart locks make the best door locks over traditional key locks?
Tradition key locks are great as long as you don’t lose the key and only YOU has a copy. Most households lose track of how many keys they have cut for their front door and how many people have a copy.
Smart locks have an ekey which can be easily changed and never lost. Ask any locksmith to open your smart door lock and they will have no chance. They majority have military encryption and are tamper proof.
Read on to find out about the most secure door locks for residential properties.
Best Keyless Door Locks 2019
- 1 Kwikset Kevo 925 Bluetooth Enabled Deadbolt
- 2 Kwikset 914 Z – Wave SmartCode Electronic UL Deadbolt
- 3 Schlage Z-Wave Connect Camelot Touchscreen Secure Deadbolt
- 4 August Smart Lock 2nd Generation keyless lock
- 5 Danalock V2 Bluetooth Low Energy SmartLock
- 6 Yale Assure Lock SL with iM1 High Security Door Lock
- 7 SoHoMiLL YL 99 Keyless Electronic Keypad Lock
- 8 Samsung SHS P718 Security Door Lock
- 9 Lockitron Security Bolt
- 10 Ultraloq UL3 BT Security Lock
This high tech enabled lock ensures security by combining the Bluetooth technology with smartphone. Users can easily download the app for their smartphones to use as a key, so this is a keyless door lock. The user can send notifications to the lock directly from their app to manage the lock. It’s also easy to share the key with family and friends since it’s different from a traditional key where you will need to go to a professional to have an additional one made. It also comes with a backup traditional key if you don’t have access to a smartphone.
- Your Smartphone is now your key - touch to open convenience
- NOW get FREE ekeys! Send and manage eKey access via smartphone
- Bluetooth Smart ready with a Bluetooth 4.0 enabled device
- Works with select iOS and Android devices (wider compatibility with updated Google Play Kevo app which determines full and partial compatibility) - please check compatibility (below) before purchase
- History and notifications - see who locked/unlocked Kevo
Kwikset also offer a conversion kit if you wish to keep your external lock and deadbolt the same, you just need to change the interior fittings.
• Compatible with iPhone 4 or higher and selected android 5 or higher devices.
• Can be controlled through Alexa voice commands.
• Can detect the phone’s location and if the phone’s inside, the lock will not open upon touch.
• Lock only opens with touch when the phone’s outside.
• ANSI Grade 2, BHMA certified and UL fire rated.
• SmartKey technology prevents from picking and bumping the lock.
• Tracks the user activity on the system to keep log of exactly who is using the lock at what time.
• Can be used with a fob for the ones without a smartphone access.
• Setup is quick and simple.
• Batteries die very early.
Watch Kwikset’s video below where they asked 6 of the top US locksmiths to get into the lock.
Another product from Kwikset who make the best keyless door locks on the market. This is a very special security system as you can control it through your voice via Alexa. This superior lock system comes in three chic colors and designs – Polished Brass, Satin Nickel and Venetian Bronze. One shortcoming is that voice control system doesn’t work with any other devices other than selected models of Alexa. But you can easily use the SmartKey feature for that if you don’t own one. The lock is certified with BHMA grade 2 certification, so you can imagine the level of safety yourself. It’s also been certified by UL for 20 minutes fire rating.
- With the SmartCode 914 use your personalized code to enter your home with the convenience of keyless entry and the back lit keypad provides increased visibility
- Does NOT work via Zigbee or Amazon Key, and is incompatible with Xfinity
- Works With Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub are sold separately)
- Requires 4 AA batteries, purchased separately
- Easily installs in minutes with just a screwdriver
• Equipped with SmartKey technology that can be re-keyed in 3 easy steps.
• Fits standard doors with measurements 1-3/8in. – 2in. hence you won’t need to make extra holes.
• You can lock the door with one single touch with this keyless lock.
• Door locks itself after 30 seconds of inactivity.
• Home connect technology enables you to control the lock from anywhere you are.
• Voice control technology available for selected models of Alexa.
• Very easy to install by the user without having the need to get a professional.
• One touch lock system.
• Can be controlled from remote places.
• Customizable for a maximum of 30 different codes for family and friends.
• Available in 3 different sleek finishes.
• Doesn’t come with instruction manual and needs to be downloaded instead.
• Alexa can only check if it’s locked and then lock it.
This deadbolt lock has a touchscreen technology (keyless) and is certified with ANSI Grade 1 certificate. So it can ensure the highest level of security for your space. The lock has Z – wave technology to work with home automation system. What this means is that you can control the security of your place through the web and smartphone. And it’s possible even from remote places. The lock has three alert modes to keep you updated about potential threats. It can also be used with Alexa for voice control.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Touch Screen keypad and lock cylinder on exterior and thumb turn interior. Door thickness range is 1.37 to 1.75 standard
- Stores up to 30 personalized user codes at a time
- Built in alarm with 3 alert settings. Battery Uses 4 AA alkaline batteries. Exterior Dimensions 3 x 5 x 1 inches. Interior Dimensions 3 x 8 x 2 inches
- Z wave technology connects to your home automation system and lets you lock or unlock your door remotely via the web or smartphone.Volts:6 V
• The touchscreen is fingerprint resistance to make the surface clear of any smudges or wear for better security.
• Equipped with 3 alert modes – activity, tamper and forced entry.
• Can be used for door thickness of 1-3/8 to 1-3/4 inches.
• Up to 30 different codes can be stored for different family members.
• Comes with one back up key for emergencies.
• Runs on 4 AA batteries.
• Built in alarm technology with 3 set modes to keep you alert at all times.
• Home access from anywhere thanks to the Z – wave technology.
• Fingerprint resistant touchscreen for correct reading every single time.
• Comes in standard lock design so easily installable.
• Batteries run out really quickly.
• Z – Wave technology stopped responding after a few years for many users.
This 2nd generation high tech lock can turn your smartphone into a key. It is possible to keep track of who’s coming or going out of the house thanks to its superior features. The August smart lock automatically locks the door behind you. It also unlocks for you when you approach, given you have the smartphone with you. And it can be controlled by Siri. It is also compatible with Alexa for voice control feature.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately).
- Connect your August smart lock to Alexa to Lock, unlock and check lock status. Alexa can also provide notifications when your battery is running low so you can proactively replace them. Set up smart reorders through Dash Replenishment to make sure you always have replacement batteries when you need them.
• Multiple members of the house can use their smartphone as keys for easy access.
• Door automatically locks and unlocks when the phone leaves or enters the house.
• Door will not unlock if the phone is inside, ensuring maximum security.
• Runs on 4 AA batteries.
• The lock connects to the smartphone via Bluetooth.
• The existing hardware of the door remains the same after installation.
• Super easy installation with nothing to wire or connect.
• Battery replacing time will be notified by the August app.
• Log tracks 24/7 to keep data of who’s coming and going.
• Auto lock and auto unlock system is super convenient for easy access.
• Lock will fall off if the door isn’t aligned perfectly.
Another lock that can be controlled with the help of a smartphone! The app will show the current lock status if it’s locked or unlocked. The lock is easy to operate as it has Red/Green LED and touch sound signals when it is being locked or unlocked. The lock comes with multiple key options where you can either use a traditional key or touch buttons or app. The smartphone connects to the lock through Bluetooth. You can also keep track of who’s coming or going out of the house because of the app.
- New intuitive app design with fast and easy settings guide
- Lock status, you always know if your door is locked or unlocked
- Get notifications when the danalock is used
- Send temporary, recurrent, or permanent invitations via user name, e-mail or sms
- danalock combines the elegance and minimalism of Scandinavian design - with a bezel in massive anodized aluminum and cutting-edge Bluetooth
• Easy and quick setup.
• Log data to keep track of entries and exits.
• Sleek antique bronze finish.
• Easy installation.
• Not easily hackable.
• Not compatible with high end branded hubs.
This superior lock system is compatible with Siri. You can easily use Siri to lock or unlock the door when you are at home. When you are not at home, you can still get access from anywhere, if you have an Apple TV. Just make sure that its 4th generation or higher and is located near the door where the lock is installed. The unique thing about this lock is that it can be scheduled to lock the door at the same time each day. The lock can be installed on doors with thickness of 1-3/8 to 2-1/4 inches.
- Lock and unlock your door by asking siri or with the Apple home app, when you're at home
- Access from anywhere when you have an Apple TV (4TH GEN or later) near your front door
- Create daily schedules to ensure your door is locked at the same time each day
- Fits on standard doors 1 3/8 inch to 2 1/4 inch thick with 2 1/8 inch face bore hole
- Enter your 4 8 digit pin code on the backlit touchscreen keypad to unlock create unique pin codes for friends and family within the Yale secure app
• Unique 4 to 8 digit pin code for friends and family.
• Compatible with standard deadbolt mounted doors.
• Yale secure app can store up to 25 unique codes.
• The lock can be set to lock automatically behind you from the lock menu settings.
• Compatible with iPhone, iPad and Apple watch.
• In the case of dead batteries, there is a 9V terminal under the keypad for emergencies.
• Easy installation needs only a screwdriver and a couple of minutes.
• Even in the case of dead batteries, you won’t be locked out of the house thanks to the emergency charging port.
• Deadbolt is very quiet.
• Auto relock option for best security.
• Isn’t compatible with android devices.
This is a lock that falls under a rather affordable price range compared to the aforementioned ones. But that doesn’t mean that the quality has been compromised. The smartlock can be operated with 10 user codes for different members of the family, including one master code. The master code can be used to change the rest of the codes. The lock is supposed to be a DIY and is thus very easy to install.
- Easy setup: master code, passage code, and up to 8 user codes - all controlled by your master code
- Fits both left and right-hinged doors; heavy duty design (stainless steel) and all-weather
- Design for Do It Yourself (DIY), and Easily replace most existing door locks, outdoor or indoor
- Auto-lock from outside in three seconds after entry to ensure max. security
- Low battery warning, plus backup battery box jumper (AAA batteries NOT included)
• Can be used on both right and left hinged doors.
• Made with heavy duty stainless steel.
• Door locks itself from outside after three seconds for maximum security.
• Gives low battery warning.
• No keyhole to prevent lock bumping.
• Affordable price.
• Easy to install with only a screwdriver.
• Convenient low battery warning.
• Auto lock system after 3 seconds for maximum security.
• Battery holder is made of cheap plastic.
The best thing about this Samsung lock is that it can be easily paired with the Samsung home system. This means the lock can provide even more security by being attached with the security cameras and sensors. When you get this lock with the Samsung home security system, you are enhancing the security of your house overall. The Samsung app can be used to keep track of the comings and goings of the house.
- DETAILS » Program up to 31 user codes and/or RF ID tags and 100 fingerprints. Fits doors 40mm to 80mm thick. Push to enter, Pull to exit. Automatic locking. Compatible with certain NFC items. Battery operated with emergency power contact.
- DESIGN » Samsung door locks have a sleek modern design which would complement any interior or exterior door in the residential home, apartment, or commercial business office building.
- EASY TO USE » Use the digital touchscreen numeric keypad or fingerprint reader to enter a password, fingerprint, or RFID faster than you can turn a key. Shut the door and the mortise sensor auto locks the door for you.
- MORTISE » Sturdier and more durable than cylindrical deadbolt locks but do require door modification. The mortise is electronic for faster open/close and has the added security of a latch.
- SECURITY » Rigorously tested construction, random security code feature, bump and pick proof, intrusion alarm, PSB fire tested and fire detection sensor, anti tampering lock out. The lock has your back.
• Unique code numbers can be set for 4 to 12 digits.
• Multiple options to lock and unlock the door – fingerprint, key fob and pin code.
• Samsung app gives the user full control to check who’s using the lock and when.
• Up to 100 fingerprints can be installed for family and friends.
• Samsung integrated system makes it possible to easily connect all security measures of the house.
• Very responsive touchscreen that responds immediately to the correct fingerprint.
• Lock can be fitted over door handles so not a lot of changes needs to be done for installation.
• Samsung app is very convenient to keep everything up to date in one place.
• Price is very high.
• Can’t be used on doors with knobs.
This is a relatively new player in the market of high tech locks. The design itself of the lock is super sleek and modern. The lock comes in two colors – white and beige to go with most doors. The door unlocks itself when you come near the door from the outside as it senses the smartphone.
- Lockitron bolt - the Bluetooth app-enabled smart lock of the future
- Works with Alexa - control your smart lock with your voice (requires bridge, sold separately)
- Sense feature automatically unlocks bolt as you approach for hands-free entry
- Easily share keys and provide access to bolt with the free Lockitron companion app for iOS and Android
- Simple installation and long battery life, powered by 4 AA batteries (included)
• Hands free and keyless entering is very user friendly.
• Lockitron app keeps you updated about the use of the lock.
• Price is very affordable.
• Lockitron sense feature is super useful for a hands free experience.
• Pretty basic features compared to the high end brands.
• Long term performance is still unknown since it’s a fairly new product.
This is a versatile lock as it is one of the first ever smart locks that has 5-in-1 keyless entry options. It comes equipped with all the entry and exit options of conventional smart locks. Additionally, this has an anti-peep technology embedded in it to make sure nobody can figure out your code as the keypad will prevent the buttons from setting in. The lock has a weather proof door handle to prevent it from rusting. The app can be used to keep track of the logs.
- World's First 5-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Lock, Fingerprint + Code + Smartphone + Knock to Open + Key
- Advanced Fingerprint Identification, Anti-peep Touch Keypad Technology, View Logs via Ultraloq App; Temperature: Inside lock body: 14°F (-10°C) to 131°F (55°C)
- Reversible Handle, Weatherproof, Intuitive OLED Display, Long Battery Life, Low Battery Alarm
- 18 Months Electronic and Lifetime Mechanical Warranty, DIY Installation, Auto-relock/Passage/Lockout
- Single Latch (Optional Deadbolt Cover Plate Required for Replacing Existing Deadbolt).Projection:0.6 inches
• Sleek design with a Satin Nickel finish.
• Reversible handle for both right and left hinged doors.
• Low battery warning.
• 18 months electronic warranty.
• Lifetime mechanical warranty.
• Up to one year battery life.
• Long battery life.
• Easy installation can be done by one person.
• Bluetooth function needs improvement as it takes time to connect.
• LG phones don’t pair up with this lock.
Final Verdit -- The Most Secure Door
No matter which lock you end up buying, make sure you do some test run before leaving the house. Once you have it all figured out, you can leave the house without any worries.
In our view and tests the Kwickset Kevo 925 is the best door lock on the market -- See price on Amazon