Prevention is better than cure. To me, this saying stands truer for the security of our homes above anything else. Security can be ensured by installing better locks with additional benefits such as fingerprint recognition and smartphone access. Gone are the days of the traditional lock and keys. Nowadays you can rely on your safety to be top notch thanks to the latest technologies. The locks of today come equipped with many advantages to keep you updated about the security of your space at all times. Read on to find out about the 10 most secure door locks.
- 1 Kwikset Kevo 925 Bluetooth Enabled Deadbolt
- 2 Kwikset 914 Z – Wave SmartCode Electronic UL Deadbolt
- 3 Schlage Z-Wave Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt
- 4 August Smart Lock 2nd Generation
- 5 Danalock V2 Bluetooth Low Energy SmartLock
- 6 Yale Assure Lock SL with iM1
- 7 SoHoMiLL YL 99 Keyless Electronic Keypad Lock
- 8 Samsung SHS P718
- 9 Lockitron Bolt
- 10 Ultraloq UL3 BT
This high tech enabled lock ensures security by combining the Bluetooth technology with smartphone. Users can easily download the app for their smartphones to use as a key. The user can send notifications to the lock directly from their app to manage the lock. It’s also easy to share the key with family and friends since it’s different from a traditional key where you will need to go to a professional to have an additional one made. It also comes with a backup traditional key if you don’t have access to a smartphone.
• Compatible with iPhone 4 or higher and selected android 5 or higher devices.
• Can be controlled through Alexa voice commands.
• Can detect the phone’s location and if the phone’s inside, the lock will not open upon touch.
• Lock only opens with touch when the phone’s outside.
• ANSI Grade 2, BHMA certified and UL fire rated.
• SmartKey technology prevents from picking and bumping the lock.
• Tracks the user activity on the system to keep log of exactly who is using the lock at what time.
• Can be used with a fob for the ones without a smartphone access.
• Setup is quick and simple.
• Batteries die very early.
This is a very special security system as you can control it through your voice via Alexa. This superior lock system comes in three chic colors and designs – Polished Brass, Satin Nickel and Venetian Bronze. One shortcoming is that voice control system doesn’t work with any other devices other than selected models of Alexa. But you can easily use the SmartKey feature for that if you don’t own one. The lock is certified with BHMA grade 2 certification, so you can imagine the level of safety yourself. It’s also been certified by UL for 20 minutes fire rating.
• Equipped with SmartKey technology that can be re-keyed in 3 easy steps.
• Fits standard doors with measurements 1-3/8in. – 2in. hence you won’t need to make extra holes.
• You can lock the door with one single touch.
• Door locks itself after 30 seconds of inactivity.
• Home connect technology enables you to control the lock from anywhere you are.
• Voice control technology available for selected models of Alexa.
• Very easy to install by the user without having the need to get a professional.
• One touch lock system.
• Can be controlled from remote places.
• Customizable for a maximum of 30 different codes for family and friends.
• Available in 3 different sleek finishes.
• Doesn’t come with instruction manual and needs to be downloaded instead.
• Alexa can only check if it’s locked and then lock it.
This deadbolt lock has a touchscreen technology and is certified with ANSI Grade 1 certificate. So it can ensure the highest level of security for your space. The lock has Z – wave technology to work with home automation system. What this means is that you can control the security of your place through the web and smartphone. And it’s possible even from remote places. The lock has three alert modes to keep you updated about potential threats. It can also be used with Alexa for voice control.
• The touchscreen is fingerprint resistance to make the surface clear of any smudges or wear for better security.
• Equipped with 3 alert modes – activity, tamper and forced entry.
• Can be used for door thickness of 1-3/8 to 1-3/4 inches.
• Up to 30 different codes can be stored for different family members.
• Comes with one back up key for emergencies.
• Runs on 4 AA batteries.
• Built in alarm technology with 3 set modes to keep you alert at all times.
• Home access from anywhere thanks to the Z – wave technology.
• Fingerprint resistant touchscreen for correct reading every single time.
• Comes in standard lock design so easily installable.
• Batteries run out really quickly.
• Z – Wave technology stopped responding after a few years for many users.
This 2nd generation high tech lock can turn your smartphone into a key. It is possible to keep track of who’s coming or going out of the house thanks to its superior features. The August smart lock automatically locks the door behind you. It also unlocks for you when you approach, given you have the smartphone with you. And it can be controlled by Siri. It is also compatible with Alexa for voice control feature.
• Multiple members of the house can use their smartphone as keys for easy access.
• Door automatically locks and unlocks when the phone leaves or enters the house.
• Door will not unlock if the phone is inside, ensuring maximum security.
• Runs on 4 AA batteries.
• The lock connects to the smartphone via Bluetooth.
• The existing hardware of the door remains the same after installation.
• Super easy installation with nothing to wire or connect.
• Battery replacing time will be notified by the August app.
• Log tracks 24/7 to keep data of who’s coming and going.
• Auto lock and auto unlock system is super convenient for easy access.
• Lock will fall off if the door isn’t aligned perfectly.
Another lock that can be controlled with the help of a smartphone! The app will show the current lock status if it’s locked or unlocked. The lock is easy to operate as it has Red/Green LED and touch sound signals when it is being locked or unlocked. The lock comes with multiple key options where you can either use a traditional key or touch buttons or app. The smartphone connects to the lock through Bluetooth. You can also keep track of who’s coming or going out of the house because of the app.
• Easy and quick setup.
• Log data to keep track of entries and exits.
• Sleek antique bronze finish.
• Easy installation.
• Not easily hackable.
• Not compatible with high end branded hubs.
This superior lock system is compatible with Siri. You can easily use Siri to lock or unlock the door when you are at home. When you are not at home, you can still get access from anywhere, if you have an Apple TV. Just make sure that its 4th generation or higher and is located near the door where the lock is installed. The unique thing about this lock is that it can be scheduled to lock the door at the same time each day. The lock can be installed on doors with thickness of 1-3/8 to 2-1/4 inches.
• Unique 4 to 8 digit pin code for friends and family.
• Compatible with standard deadbolt mounted doors.
• Yale secure app can store up to 25 unique codes.
• The lock can be set to lock automatically behind you from the lock menu settings.
• Compatible with iPhone, iPad and Apple watch.
• In the case of dead batteries, there is a 9V terminal under the keypad for emergencies.
• Easy installation needs only a screwdriver and a couple of minutes.
• Even in the case of dead batteries, you won’t be locked out of the house thanks to the emergency charging port.
• Deadbolt is very quiet.
• Auto relock option for best security.
• Isn’t compatible with android devices.
This is a lock that falls under a rather affordable price range compared to the aforementioned ones. But that doesn’t mean that the quality has been compromised. The smartlock can be operated with 10 user codes for different members of the family, including one master code. The master code can be used to change the rest of the codes. The lock is supposed to be a DIY and is thus very easy to install.
• Can be used on both right and left hinged doors.
• Made with heavy duty stainless steel.
• Door locks itself from outside after three seconds for maximum security.
• Gives low battery warning.
• No keyhole to prevent lock bumping.
• Affordable price.
• Easy to install with only a screwdriver.
• Convenient low battery warning.
• Auto lock system after 3 seconds for maximum security.
• Battery holder is made of cheap plastic.
The best thing about this Samsung lock is that it can be easily paired with the Samsung home system. This means the lock can provide even more security by being attached with the security cameras and sensors. When you get this lock with the Samsung home security system, you are enhancing the security of your house overall. The Samsung app can be used to keep track of the comings and goings of the house.
• Unique code numbers can be set for 4 to 12 digits.
• Multiple options to lock and unlock the door – fingerprint, key fob and pin code.
• Samsung app gives the user full control to check who’s using the lock and when.
• Up to 100 fingerprints can be installed for family and friends.
• Samsung integrated system makes it possible to easily connect all security measures of the house.
• Very responsive touchscreen that responds immediately to the correct fingerprint.
• Lock can be fitted over door handles so not a lot of changes needs to be done for installation.
• Samsung app is very convenient to keep everything up to date in one place.
• Price is very high.
• Can’t be used on doors with knobs.
This is a relatively new player in the market of high tech locks. The design itself of the lock is super sleek and modern. The lock comes in two colors – white and beige to go with most doors. The door unlocks itself when you come near the door from the outside as it senses the smartphone. The lock has been garnering attention because of its affordability. If you are new into the whole smart lock system, starting with this one might be a good idea to see if you like it.
• Hands free and keyless entering is very user friendly.
• Lockitron app keeps you updated about the use of the lock.
• Price is very affordable.
• Lockitron sense feature is super useful for a hands free experience.
• Pretty basic features compared to the high end brands.
• Long term performance is still unknown since it’s a fairly new product.
Ultraloq UL3 BT
This is a versatile lock as it is one of the first ever smart locks that has 5-in-1 keyless entry options. It comes equipped with all the entry and exit options of conventional smart locks. Additionally, this has an anti-peep technology embedded in it to make sure nobody can figure out your code as the keypad will prevent the buttons from setting in. The lock has a weather proof door handle to prevent it from rusting. The app can be used to keep track of the logs.
• Sleek design with a Satin Nickel finish.
• Reversible handle for both right and left hinged doors.
• Low battery warning.
• 18 months electronic warranty.
• Lifetime mechanical warranty.
• Up to one year battery life.
• Long battery life.
• Easy installation can be done by one person.
• Bluetooth function needs improvement as it takes time to connect.
• LG phones don’t pair up with this lock.
No matter which lock you end up buying, make sure you do some test run before leaving the house. Once you have it all figured out, you can leave the house without any worries.